It’s wedding season – Let the festivities begin! Lisa, one of my best friends, (@danceworksboston @danceworksnyc @thefarmhome) is getting married this July up in Vermont and I am over the moon excited for them! Yesterday, Lisa’s sisters hosted a Guys & Gals bridal shower that was fit for the betrothed Syracuse alum. Think, food truck pizza, Pastabilities hot tomato oil dip, local craft brews and anything Wegmans. Needless to say, it was one for the books.
With all that tasty goodness though, and knowing our group of friends, it’s always nice to mix in some clean, whole foods. So the minute I heard there was a need for a grain or pasta salad – I was all over it. Enter the delicious Quinoa and Carrot Salad with chickpeas, golden raisins and walnuts.
The great thing about this salad is that it is best when made ahead and allowed to sit overnight in the fridge. Hello weekly meal options! It has the nuttiness of the quinoa, crunch of the carrots, and perfect balance of acidity and sweetness. No need to save this only for special occasions. Break it out during your weekly meal prep!
Quinoa is more than just a cute little grain. With its high protein, vitamin, calcium and fiber content it is a “does the body good” powerhouse. More than you can say for that sad white rice that, let’s be honest, nobody really likes to eat or cook. And great news for Celiacs out there – quinoa is gluten-free!
I got this recipe from Floating Kitchen and made a couple tweaks to satisfy my taste buds. It is great as a side dish, especially to salmon, and can also be an absolutely wonderful salad for lunch. Hope you’re hungry!
In sweat and health,
Quinoa & Carrot Salad
Serves 4 – 30min (plus time to cool quinoa)
- 2/3 cups dry quinoa, red or multi-colored
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 cup shredded carrots (from about 1-2 carrots)
- 1 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Cook the quinoa. Combine the quinoa and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce the temperature to maintain a simmer. Simmer, covered, for 15-17 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let the quinoa stand covered for 3-5 minutes. Then fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- Once the quinoa has cooled, toss it with the carrots, chickpeas and raisins.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the quinoa salad, tossing gently to combine.
- Upon serving time, stir in the walnuts and top with the chopped parsley.